Monday, January 5, 2009

Back to School after Christmas Break

Today went really well! I actually was expecting some resistance from the kids about having to get back into our school routine but there was none. Everyone was up, fed and at their desks by 8 and ready to go! Amazing for a Monday!!

We did our devotion first and the topic was about honoring our "old people". My kids know that I just love the elderly. I think they are so cute and I love spending time with them. I want to instill that love for senior citizens in them.

In history, we did a review quiz first....I wanted to make sure they didn't lose anything over the past 2 weeks. They all did very well. The Mystery of History makes history fun and interesting so they tend to remember the information better. After the review, we read a lesson about Richard the Lionhearted, Saladin and the Third Crusade.

They all had spelling tests and did so-so. They will be reviewing the words they missed and will have to retest on them. I am not too bothered by it. They haven't had to spell anything for the past 2 weeks so I was expecting it to not be 100%.

Amy and Alex had a review in math. I had planned on reviewing and then starting a new topic but when they were struggling with some of the review problems, I decided that we needed to master that before we moved on....so we did. Andrew did his review sheet and is ready for his next lesson.

They all read books that they had checked out from the library during their reading time. Andrew is reading a book about Pluto so his reading is counting as science as well. Two birds with one stone! The book is called When is a Planet not a Planet?The Story of Pluto and is sparking an interesting discussion between him and Alex.

Enough about school work....let's talk about other things we did today. Oh yeah, during our break, we watched Rachael Ray make this recipe and they decided that we need to try it. She has some great healthy, low cost recipes on her site so check them out!

It has been raining almost all day and since the temperature is low, it is forming ice on the trees. We would love some snow but it looks like that isn't gonna happen. I am just glad that it wasn't raining when I went for my walk this morning at 5:15. That would have ruined it for me. I walked further today than I did last time...I don't know the distance but I know it was more than a mile. I had my music in my ears and just walked to the beat.

It looks like I am going to have to bring in more kids to our daycare. We really need the income right now. Since I don't want to get re-licensed, I can only take on 2 more. I have looked through all of my old daycare stuff and it made me kind of excited about doing preschool again. I just have to get into a routine of doing school with my kids and do preschool with the little ones. William is going to be looking for side jobs to do too to help make some extra money. He can do pretty much anything around the house....your typical handy man. He also works on cars. If you have something for him to do, give him a call 481-6145. We just have to come up with some ways to make sure our bills are paid. I know I was making decent money with my home based business but it was keeping me away from home more than I liked and I was missing some important events in my kids' lives. I am a distributor for another company that I can do from home and not have to go out and do parties so I am looking into actively building that business too.

Wow, this is a long post. I guess I will stop now. I am gonna go cuddle with my man and watch a little TV with him and the kids before bed.

Adios!
Back to School after Christmas BreakSocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

No comments: